Hadley

Hadley

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Freezing Berries in Baby Food Jars



We LOOOOVE fresh berries.  I go out to Smith Berry Barn because they are no-spray, so I feel fine letting the kids eat them while picking.  Plus, it is so peaceful and beautiful there.  I didn't dare to take the camera because it was just me with both kiddos, but Hannah brought hers and it will be fun to see the three cute cousins picking!

It's a tradition for me to go pick berries on every 4th of July, and this time I had an extra reason to really stock up because we are starting a new venture in the little J' family of going gluten-free to try and help Matt's auto-immune disorder ... but that will be for another blog entry!



Today, I'm so excited to post about our beautiful berries.  Tyler was such a helper this year!  He said he picked all the berries "for daddy" because Matt was working.  Grandma and Granddaddy joined us too.  Such a fun day!

As you know, I have a mini obsession with making baby food, and when I had Gavin, I collected dozens of jars from friends so that I could store my homemade stuff easily.  I was left with all of these empty jars ... empty containers don't last long around me.  I always find a good use for them.  Last year, I froze tons of berries in the jars, and they were perfect!

Here are some tips ...

- As long as they are dry when you fill the jars and you seal the lids tight, they don't get any freezer burn at all.
- I use plastic boxes from target designed for storing printer paper to store the majority.  I always keep a few handy in the door of my freezer so I can grab them daily.
- They are the perfect portion to toss in oatmeal or smoothies.
- For larger recipes like a batch of blueberry pancakes, you can use a small mason jar.
- Use your helpers!!  The boys filled a lot of the jars ... I could not get over their cuteness :)

Try it!  It's so much better than ziplocks (freezer burn, berries stick in huge clumps, boo!).

Happy 4th Everyone!  ~ Jessica











Tyler was so proud to show daddy the berries he picked for him


Food to grow back daddies hair :)










Fresh berries for all winter long!!!  YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers